Obesity is now a massive and deadly health problem that affects people all over the world. It affects the majority of people worldwide, beginning in childhood. But how to prevent from obesity? WhichChoose will take you through 14 very simple tips to help you avoid this deadly disease.
What is Obesity?
In fact, “Obesity is that condition of the body in which the amount of fat increases at an extreme level.” In other words, obesity can be defined as “the condition when a person weighs 20 percent or more than the ideal weight.”
Obesity is defined by an individual’s body weight being greater than their height. Due to the many health risks of obesity, it has been declared a disease. Obese people usually fall prey to diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, arthritis, osteoarthritis, flat foot, respiratory problems, varicose veins, liver malfunction, etc.
Generally, the questions arise: What should be the ideal body weight of an individual? Who is obese, and who is not? Different methods are used in various countries to know the obesity of an individual.
The best method to know about obesity is BMI (Body Mass Index). If you want to know your body mass index, then divide your body weight in kg by your height in meter square viz.
The WHO Criteria for Overweight and Obesity by BMI
|Obesity Class I||30-34.9|
|Obesity Class II||35-39.9|
|Obesity Class III||>40|
So, you can come to know about your position after having a glance at these criteria.
Obesity can be prevented easily with the help of two types of preventive measures-
- Exercise-related preventive measures
- Diet-related preventive measures
In fact, these two preventive measures are directly related to exercise and lifestyle management.
How to Prevent Obesity Through Exercise?
These measures play a very vital role in preventing obesity. The following measures related to exercise can be used to prevent obesity:
- Regular physical exercise: Regular physical exercises can do wonders in preventing obesity. Children need an hour of moderate to vigorous exercise every day if they want to prevent obesity. They should do aerobic activity for at least 60 minutes per day. These exercises or aerobic activities can be in various forms, such as jogging, running, cycling and dancing, etc. For aerobic activities, an intensity of 55 to 60 percent of the maximum heart rate should be set.
- To play games and sports regularly: Playing games and sports regularly is also beneficial for preventing obesity. Children should play various games/sports like football, basketball, hockey, handball, swimming, athletics, etc. Regularly at least for one hour. Make it a regular phenomenon for the whole lifespan.
- Weight training exercises: Earlier, weight training exercises are very powerful in preventing obesity. Research studies indicate that weight training programs are safe and very much effective for avoiding and treating obesity if managed correctly.
- Resistance exercises: These exercises are not only safe and best for curing and preventing obesity but can also improve muscular strength and increase the strength of tendons, ligaments, and bones. It is generally recommended that these exercises should focus on the proper exercise techniques and the number of repetitions rather than the amount of weight lifted. In a single set, 12 to 16 repetitions should be done with moderate resistance.
- Yogic exercises: Yoga is very powerful in preventing obesity. Yogic exercises can help a lot in preventing and curing obesity. For example, pranayama and yogic asanas, especially meditative asanas, are helpful in preventing and curing obesity.
Research studies have shown that stress and tension tend to increase obesity. Meditative asanas are very beneficial in relieving stress and tension. Therefore, yogic exercises can also prevent and cure obesity.
How to Prevent Obesity through Diet?
These preventive and curative measures are related to diet. In these measures, the emphasis is laid down upon the reduced intake of calories.
- Avoid fatty food: If you want to prevent obesity, you should avoid fatty foods in your diet. Fats are known to have a maximum number of calories. These extra calories will be accumulated in your body. So avoid fatty foods if you want to remain slim and trim.
- Avoid junk and fast foods: Try to avoid junk and fast foods such as pizza, burgers, chips, cookies, pastries, chocolate, cold drinks, etc., if you want to prevent obesity. These foodstuffs are also rich in calories. Intake of such foodstuffs leads to obesity.
- Avoid overeating: In order to prevent obesity, you should not overeat. It means that you should eat the food according to the necessity of your body. Assuming you require 2,500 calories per day, you should take foods that contain only 2,500 calories. If you take 3,000 calories per day, the 500 calories will be accumulated daily as fat in your body. So, you should avoid overeating.
- Don’t eat frequently: You should not develop a habit of eating frequently. People who eat frequently typically take extra calories. Hence, they become obese. So, always avoid frequently eating to prevent obesity.
- Avoid rich carbohydrate food: In order to prevent obesity, avoid rich carbohydrate food. But we don’t mean to say that you should not take carbohydrate food. Carbohydrate is very important in increasing the level of energy. So, you should reduce the number of carbohydrates in your diet, not stop taking them. For this reason, try to avoid sugar, rice, potatoes, toffees, chocolate, and other sweets.
- Don’t skip meals: Don’t skip your meals, such as breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you skip your meal, you will definitely do overeating the next time, which may lead to obesity. In fact, skipping meals increases hunger, resulting in greater food consumption next time.
- Take a low-calorie diet: To prevent obesity, you should take a low-calorie diet, but you should not give up the essential constituents of food. It should be a nutritious one.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, and drugs: Always keep in mind that alcohol, smoking, and drugs always lead to obesity. Alcohol is directly absorbed from the stomach in the bloodstream and easily stored as fat. It is also applicable in the case of smoking and drugs. So never use such things if you want to remain fit and slim.
- Balancing the intake and expenditure of calories: To prevent obesity, you should always try to balance your intake of calories and expenditure of calories. To implement it, try not to eat more calories than your body burns each day. Always stick to your eating plan, even on holidays or functions.
If your intake of calories is greater than what you require, the excess calories are stored as fat in the body. Too much stored fat increases your BMI and makes it difficult to return to your goal weight and shape again. Put more stress on the following points for balancing the intake and expenditure of calories:
- When you take in more calories than you require in your daily activities, your body stores extra calories as fat in the body, and as a result, you gain weight.
- When you take in fewer calories than your expenditure, you lose weight.
- When your intake and expenditure of calories remain the same, your body weight also remains the same.
In conclusion, if you want to keep from getting fat, you should use both types of preventive measures well. Dieting and exercise alone are not enough to prevent obesity. You should do vigorous exercise and also reduce your calorie intake. Refrain from relying on the products related to the diet sold in the market.
How to prevent from obesity? It seems like a big question, but you can start doing it step by step, starting with the smallest thing. Remember that little and frequently fills the purse. So, have patience and follow WhichChoose‘s tips to help you avoid being overweight and obese from now on!
WhichChoose is the website products and services review that helps users in the world to find what the best is and shop easily.